Jawatan Kosong Kulim - Kulim’s Origins
The Kulim we know today was started and inhabited in mid 18th century, by Malays from the region of Pattani (Siam, now Thailand). The name for the town, ‘Kulim’ was derived from trees that was ubiquitous in that region (scientific name: Scorocarpus Borneensis Becc)
The Kulim Tree is a plant that is present in Malaysian and other ASEAN rainforests. The botanical name is Scorodocarpus borneensis and the fruits are used for cooking by the indigenous people of Tapah (Perak). The fruits are borne sometime in mid July-August (same time as Durian seasons). In 1997 it was estimated that the market price of a cubic meter of kulim wood reached RM270.
Kulim as a town was started in mid 18th century by 100 Malays from Pattani. By mid 19th century Kulim experienced a boom due to the discovery of tin ore. By 1890, there were 400 Chinese miners operating in Kulim. One of Kulim’s earliest settlements was a place called Belakang Tebok.
The biggest tin mining facilities in kulim were Taman Tunku Putra, Kg. Bukit Besar, Karangan, Terap and Kelang Lama. Archived records show that by 1854 there were 8 tin mining companies that were active in Kulim with a total workforce of 1500 people.
In 1888 there was a major incident in Kulim, dubbed ‘Beautiful Nyonya War’ (Perang Nyonya Cantik) or Kulim War (Perang Kulim). This incident started when the mining chiefs of Kulim fought over a popular Chinese lady of the time. The chiefs mobilized their respective workers in this seemingly minor squabble escalated into a major riot. Peace and tranquility enjoyed by the people of Kulim was disrupted by this incident and it dragged on for a number of years, and claimed a number of lives of the involved parties.
The direct consequences of this incident was the hiring of a British national (B.E. Mitchell) as the chief of police of Kulim (1890) by the ruler of Kedah, and the worsening economic problem of the state. The Bangkok treaty, ratified in 1909, ceded Siam’s influence in Kedah to the British, however, only by 1923 did Sultan Abdul Hamid of Kedah sign a treaty which recognizes Kedah as a state under British protectorate.
The name Kulim was derived from a tree that was prevalent in the area. It is believed that the tin miners from Perak ( Larut, Matang, Taiping and Selama), where the people who started kulim as a town. The miners were looking for a new place to start as they did not want to be embroiled in the triad conflict that is constantly under the surface in the aforementioned areas in Perak (Ghee Hin and Hai San, the most active Triad during those times).
These miners escaped from Perak through the jungles of Kulim to head to Penang (Penang was a busy English port by then), but during their journey through the forest they discovered tin in the rivers and quarries. This prompted their decision to settle in Kulim and mine the ores there, without the interference of the triads elsewhere.
A few of the classical monuments still existing in kulim includes coronation cinema, St. Patrick’s High School (1933), which was converted into a trade building, Sultan Badlishah High School (1948), Kulim Police Station and so on.
Meanwhile the Kulim’s independence clock was officiated by the Sultan of Kedah (15 September 1957) and serves as the unofficial landmark for the city of Kulim. The cornerstone of the clock was acquired by YPM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj (the First Prime Minister if Malaya, later Malaysia) on 14th june 1957.
The construction of the clock was completed within 3 months and upon completion, was made formalized by DYMM Tuanku Sultan Badlishah Ibni Almarhum Yang Di Pertuan Paduka Seri Sultan Abdul Hamid Shah, KOM, CMG, KBE Sultan Kedah on 15th September 1957, or 2 weeks after the declaration of independence of Malaysia (31st August 1957).
- Penolong Pegawai Penilaian Gred W27
a) Citizens of Malaysia;
b) Diploma in real estate management or property management which are recognized by the government of the institutions of higher learning or a recognized qualification equivalent thereto. (P1 Starting Salary: 1742.28) and
c) Pass B.M. (including pass Oral) at SPM level or equivalent qualification recognized by the Government.
How to apply
1) All application forms can be downloaded from Portal MPKK http://www.mpkk.gov.my/guest/e-borang
2) Each application shall include the following: -
a) 2 passport-sized photographs
b) Copy of Birth Certificate
c) Copy of Identity Card
d) Copy of Certificate Examination
e) Other relevant certificates.
3) A copy of the above documents must be certified.
4) Completed application forms must be submitted in an envelope measuring 25 cm x 32 cm. In the top left corner of the envelope, the position applied for.
5) Applications that are incomplete, unclear and not in accordance with prescribed regulations will DISCLAIMED. Applications must be received at the following address: -
MAJLIS PERBANDARAN KULIM,
104-120 LORONG KOTA KENARI 5/1, KOTA KENARI,
09000 KULIM, KEDAH DARUL AMAN
(u.p: Bahagian Sumber Manusia)
Further information and how to apply, please follow :
Jawatan Kosong Kulim closing date 20 January 2013